3D Sole Design + Printing
This course is ideal for professional footwear designers that are new to 3D design and want to create their own sole units in 3D, either for prototyping or actual wearable soles. After 5 days of fulltime class you will be able to:
- create or adjust a shoe last in Rhino 3D
- design midsoles/outsoles (and heels) for a digital last
- visualise (render) your sole designs professionally in 3D
- print your sole, heel and last on an affordable FDM printer
- understand the current state of the main 3D printing technologies
- distinguish the most suitable 3D printing materials for footwear
- understand the differences between designing for sole moulding or for 3D printing
After the first exercises you will be able to work on a sole for your brand or employer. The images on this page show just the first sole prototypes, since we will not publish any designs that will be produced commercially.
Do you already design soles in Rhino? Then check out our 2-day advanced course!
Dates: May 20-24, 2019, 9:00 - 17:30 each day
Location: Lay3rs 3D printing, Grote Berg 60, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Level: intermediate, participants must have experience in shoe design, but no prior knowledge of 3D design is required
Price: €2000 (excluding 21% VAT, if applicable. Price is to be paid in advance, 50% downpayment is required upon registration)
Included in the course price: use of 3D printers and basic 3D printing materials
Not included in the course price: travel costs, breakfast, lunch and diner, Rhino software, any special 3D printing materials
Required materials: participants have to bring their own laptop (PC or Mac but NOT a tablet) with Rhino 5 or 6 installed, there is a free evaluation version available. You will also need a mouse, not just a trackpad.
Please fill out the form below to apply for this course. We will get back to you within 48 hours to let you know if your application has been accepted. There is a maximum of 8 participants for this course. For any questions - for instance if you want us to give this class at your company - please email us at [email protected].